Saturday, September 12, 2009

Everyone is Getting Married

When girls are young they play dress-up and pretend. As they get older they plan their whole wedding. I was never one of those girls that had their wedding planned before they met the guy they were going to spend the rest of their life with. I think the vision is different depending on the groom, and call me old-fashioned but I think the groom should have some say, it is his day too! Whereas some girls plan their whole wedding and just tell the man to show up that day.
Why the talk about tying the knot? My dad just got married in August (photo of me at my dad's wedding on right) and my sister is getting married in November, the day before Thanksgiving, and I am her Maid of Honor. I guess you can say the topic has been brought up a significant amount in my family. The bridal party and I just threw her surprise bridal shower at the end of August. My sister was so surprised; it was great! We planned a bunch of games and everyone enjoyed themselves. There were a lot of girls to help out with the planning because there are 9 brides maids.
I am looking forward to telling you more about the upcoming wedding. If anyone has any pointers for me as the Maid of Honor please feel free to share them.




Vocabulary:

pretend-(verb) to make believe
wedding- (noun) the ceremony of marrying
groom- (noun) the husband of the bride
old- fashioned- (adjective) having a taste of an earlier time
tying the knot- getting married
Thanksgiving- (noun) a day set to give thanks to God
Maid of Honor- (noun) unmarried woman who attends to the bride
significant- (adjective) more than most




Cloze Exercise:

1. The children were going to ______________ that they were astronauts going to the moon.
2. My sister’s _____________________ is on November 25, where she will marry Shawn.
3. The bride and __________________ will take many pictures the day of their wedding.
4. Times have changed from the mermaid style wedding dresses, and have gone back to a more _____________________ look to the big puffed out dresses.
5. A slang phrase for getting married is to say that the couple is _____________________.
6. A holiday known for giving thanks to God and the ones you love is ____________________.
7. The _________________________ at a wedding is in charge of making sure the bride has everything she needs.
8. There are a _________________________ amount of guests at the wedding, there are over 300 guests.




Grammar Point:
Have you ever been to a wedding? What are some things you saw at the wedding or that were in weddings of different cultures? Write down your thoughts in an organized paragraph.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to hearing more about the wedding in Nov. Great job with the blog! Why don't you google the expression "tying the knot" to find out where it comes from. ESL students love such stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so pretty!!! How exciting for your sister and family. Great blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, great blog! And by the way your not old fashioned I feel the same way. I think the groom should have some say in the wedding. Oh and I never thought about my wedding when I was little, and I still don't. Anyway, I think your blog is wonderful full of great ideas

    ReplyDelete